Friday 5 April 2013

Cabinet of Curiosities Mycology Fungi Specimens from Cornwall

These are a few of my Victorian Museum style Mycology Specimens. I made these fun Fantasy Fungi for my 'Cabinet of Curiosities'. 

They are in keeping with my other interests of Steampunk & Occult, sitting happily beside other  bizarre items and artefacts in the collection.  The genuine C19th antique papier mache museum specimens of fungi & mushrooms are so very expensive.  A single Victorian antique example on eBay listed for over £100, so I made my own.

These fungi created in my Boffins Bunker using  wire framed & aluminium foil as armature, with a skin of polymer clay (One of my 1st ventures into using 'sculpey' TM).  Mounted on an ebonised (Black French Polish) wooden base.


'Cabinet of Curiosities' Victorian Museum style Mycology Fantasy Fungi
Specimens made in Boffins Bunker in Cornwall


Below: A close up on two smaller specimens each being under approx. 4cm inc. base


'Cabinet of Curiosities' Small (4cm approx.) Victorian Museum style Mycology
Fantasy Fungi Specimens made in Boffins Bunker in Cornwall
Some of my Steampunk insects & creepy crawly creations look quite at home sat on the larger fungi specimens.

For more images of my work & other items I've started a Pintrest Board which can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment